Sunday, August 22, 2021

Did somebody say vintage genre fiction shelf?

I've been organizing my library, and realized that I have a few real interesting pre-1990 genre paperbacks (except for The Lure, which is a hardcover, but it's a 70's thriller, so I say it counts) and decided to collect them in one place, just to see what they'd look like together. And they rock. Compared to some genuine literary collections out there this is a pretty meager offering; but for someone who lives in a non-English-speaking country, where I can only get these books from overseas or very occasionally from used bookshops if I get lucky, I'd say it's not too shabby.

Books from left to right:

  • Gaywyck by Vincent Virga - the first ever explicitly gay Gothic romance, real eager to read this one
  • Cast a Cold Eye by Alan Ryan - a gorgeous Irish ghost story, one of my favorite non-King vintage horror reads out there
  • Finishing Touches by Thomas Tessier - a very praised psychological horror novel with an erotic edge by a respected genre author, also eager to get to this
  • The Red Planet by Robert Heinlein - a delightfully dated sci-fi romp from 1949, and one of my first ever reads in English
  • The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett - a gift from a dear friend, and a very fun (if flawed) fantasy read; not gonna review it here, because everyone and their mum knows Mr. Pratchett, but it's a respected part of my collection all the same
  • Invaders From Mars by Ray Garton - a novelization of a movie I very much haven't seen, but Ray Garton had written some famously grotesque horror stuff, so I'm interested in seeing what he brings to the table here
  • Dark Forces, edited by Kirby McCauley - a reprint of a legendary horror anthology from before the great horror paperback boom, I found it a bit of an uneven read but I can absolutely understand why it was so groundbreaking at the time
  • Gabriel by Lisa Tuttle - I love Lisa Tuttle, this is one of her lesser-known novels, but I'm looking forward to it; great luck to snag a reprint in good condition
  • The Green Brain by Frank Herbert - featured it in just the previous post, a sci-fi book by one of the genre greats with a gorgeous cover
  • The Cradle Will Fall by Mary Higgins Clark - also featured this one, I wasn't exactly enamored with it on first read, but the cover art is striking
  • The Terrified Heart by Alicia Grace - real obscure 70's Gothic romance I found in a used bookshop (miracles do happen)
  • Hawk & Fisher by Simon Green - gritty fantasy about a married couple of peacekeepers in a rough city, and the first in a pretty well-regarded series
  • the novelizations for Aliens (Alan Dean Foster), The Abyss (Orson Scott Card), The Terminator (Randall Frakes, Bill Wisher) and Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Randall Frakes) - I live and breathe all the James Cameron movies that starred Michael Biehn (shut up, he was in T2 if you squint) and this is sort of my collection within a collection; I also own the Tombstone novelization because big fan of Mr. Biehn here, but that one is post-1990, so didn't put it on the shelf
  • Vampire Beat by Vincent Courtney - a tacky crime-horror novel about a vampire cop, gotta love the concept alone
  • The Lure by Felice Picano - a lurid, raunchy thriller set in the underground gay scene of the 70's, praised by Stephen King himself

I'll confess that I haven't read all these books yet (Cast a Cold Eye is my current read, for instance), but they all have a certain something about them - in some cases the cover art, in others the premise or the writers themselves - that makes me very eager to discover what they hold between the covers. I'm also looking to expand my collection with a few more interesting and obscure reads I hunt down in various used bookshops, so you can definitely expect more posts about Le Genre Shelf as it grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment